I need help with UTF-8

Tiemo Hollmann TB toolbook at kestner.de
Thu Jan 12 08:42:33 EST 2017

Hello,

I am migrating a LC 6 program to LC 8 and shortly before release, after I
thought I have made all hurdles I am again lost with Mac - LC 8 - PHP -
MySQL -UTF-8 and German Umlaute (the MySQL name field is "utf8_general_ci"
coded):

Scenario 1 (without local file):

-          Entering a name with Umlaute in LC: ok

-          Checking the name in LC: ok

-          Passing the name to PHP and writing it to a MySQL db: ok

This works fine, without any changes in LC 6 and LC 8

Scenario 2 (with local file, without textencode):

-          Entering a name with Umlaute in LC: ok

-          Writing it to a local file

-          Reading it from a local file

-          Checking the name in LC: ok

-          Passing the name to PHP and writing it to a MySQL db: corrupted

This works fine in LC 6 on Win and Mac. In LC 8 on Windows it is also ok,
but running the program on MacOS 10.12, the Umlaute enter the MySQL database
corrupted.

Scenario 3 (textEncode before passing to PHP):

-          Entering a name with Umlaute in LC

-          Writing it to a local file

-          Reading it from a local file

-          textEncode() the content for the file: coruppted

-          Passing the name to PHP and writing it to a MySQL db: coruppted

Scenario 4 (textEncode/Decode for local file and PHP):

-          Entering a name with Umlaute in LC

-          textEncode() the content for the file: coruppted

-          Writing it to a local file

-          Reading it from a local file

-          textDecode() the content from the file: corrupted

-          Alternativily additional: textEncode() the content from the file:
corrupted

-          Passing the name to PHP and writing it to a MySQL db: coruppted

It seems that I still havn't understood UTF-8 handling in LC

Where is my fault? And why is it working on Windows and not on Mac?

Thanks for any help!

Tiemo