Script Editor fixable? (was: Configuring a Sublime Text project to notify LiveCode IDE about updates to script only stacks)

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Feb 22 11:46:22 EST 2017

prothero wrote:

 > I agree with Roger,
 > There needs to be a useful script editor bundled with livecode.

Absolutely.  No development environment could claim to be integrated
without including such an essential components.

I'm not suggesting we make people hunt for their own components.  I'm
wondering if it makes sense to officially embrace external editors, for
both utility and cost savings.

 > I'm suspecting that a lot of the impetus for sublime text and other
 > external editors has to do with professional developers' need to use
 > github with script only stacks. For entry level users, the built in
 > editor would be their first exposure and perhaps sufficient.
 >
 > I also suspect that folks new to programming, or non-professionals
 > might be a target too good to "not" keep on our good side.

Apologies that I didn't wrote more clearly.

In all my communications on this I've tried to stress that a good editor
be bundled with the LC install.

But if that editor were external, then the IDE needs only one interface
for managing not only the included editor, but any other editor anyone
might want to use.

Out of the box there's an experience at least as good as what we have
now, and with the click of a Prefs button users could also choose any
other editor they prefer.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems