[OT] Draconian computer company policies, was: Mobile LC Apps Downloading Stacks After installation

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 13:22:17 EDT 2017

On 8/11/17 8:18 pm, Mark Waddingham via use-livecode wrote:
> On 2017-08-11 18:54, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode wrote:
>> Now putting a LiveCode standalone onto an iPad that does thing that
>> Apple doesn't like isn't always the same thing as putting things onto
>> an iPad that is unsafe.
>
> I've already pointed out that you can put whatever you want onto
> *your* iPad or *your* iPhone - you just need an Apple Developer
> account, a provisioning profile and away you go. There are also
> numerous ways to share such apps with your friends and colleagues, or
> indeed anyone you like (beta test codes etc. - or just sending them
> the built app bundle which they can then resign to install themselves
> through Xcode onto their own devices).
>
> For organisations, it is also bypass the *consumer* AppStore - by
> having an organisation wide AppStore. Again, these come with no review
> or restrictions.
>
> The restrictions are about what your app is allowed to do when you
> submit to the *Consumer* Apple App Store - i.e. when you are making
> your app potentially available to millions of people.

So, I wonder why there is not a way of putting one's iPad app onot the
web in a way (and I don't mean via Cydia)
that will allow people to download it onto their tablets independently,
as one can do on an Android device?

Therefore allowing those "millions" of people (i.e. the 25 who are
interested in "Fred Flintstone's" app) the abi;lity to choose for
themselves.

Richmond.