math, bigly

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Wed Aug 9 12:32:53 EDT 2017

On 2017-08-09 18:29, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:
> Looking into the engine code, by the time you get to the actual bitXor
> code, the input arguments are already unsigned integers. Since I was
> passing 20-hex-digit values to bitXor, I would have expected some kind
> of runtime warning or error or something. It's not just a loss of
> precision here, it's a totally wrong answer with no indication that
> anything has gone astray. Writing a string-oriented function to handle
> this wasn't a problem - realizing that something had gone wrong was.

Indeed, I don't disagree - but its how things have ALWAYS been, which
means that throwing an error will likely break someone's app somewhere
which has come to rely on the behavior the way it is...

Please do file a bug about it - it is, at the very least, an anomaly.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps