Hackintosh

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Aug 2 17:03:35 EDT 2017

Richmond Mathewson wrote:

 > No, I don't think we have to respect Apple's policy at all.

A similar view might ask whether the DevaWriter license terms need to be
respected, or LiveCode Ltd.'s, or Stephen King's, or the protections
afforded any creator of an original work.

Many of us here earn our living through intellectual property.  So
personally, I feel it reflects well on our community to respect other
people's IP as we ask them to respect ours.

Whether any given action may be a violation of law is a matter for
attorneys.  Encouraging mutual respect seems simply a matter of good taste.

FWIW I have no personal opinion about hackintoshes one way or another,
and I think Apple might do its platform a favor by considering licensing
the OS on other hardware (though unlike before, this time do it
earnestly so it might actually stand a a chance of working).

But Apple has made their intentions clear, and it is their right to
apply any terms they feel are in the interest of their shareholders.
Those who want a different license can choose software governed by a
license they like.

 > But I do tend to agree that any discussion of anything that might rub
 > Apple up the wrong way if it is to take place on this use-list should
 > only be in relation to LiveCode.

That's pretty much all the Forum Guidelines ask for, and all that Mark
Waddingham has asked for here.

It's not even about Apple really, but about creating an environment that
clearly respects the efforts of developers and the rights afforded them
under the Berne agreement.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  LiveCode Community Liaison