html5 feature list anywhere? sqlite? local file access?

Rick Harrison harrison at all-auctions.com
Fri Apr 7 15:23:09 EDT 2017

Hi Dr. Hawkins,

I didn’t see that anyone answered your question yet so
I thought I’d take a stab at it.  Others can please feel
free to correct me if my information is too old or whatever.

HTML5 as I understand it in it’s current form is still
considered “experimental” according to the LiveCode
team.  It is not able to interact with things outside of
itself like external databases, files, etc.  The new
Java Native Interface available in LC version 9.0.0 DP 6
and later maybe able to let you communicate via Java
with external databases.  I haven’t played around with
that version yet to see if it works or not.

HTML5 will work for creating self-contained stack apps
which don’t require any external access to files or databases.
It will allow you to have your users download the stack/app
through the web-browser, and then run the app in the
browser, but the app then resides on the client side
of things and any information you need is internal
only for the stack/app.

For me it made more sense to just have different versions
of my stack available for download for whatever platforms
my users need.  I have one for Mac, one for Windows, etc.
That way my stack app has the full functionality of LC, and
it can talk to whatever external files or databases I want it
to access.

I hope that helps!

Rick