Negative Numbers and NumberFormat

Bob Sneidar bobsneidar at iotecdigital.com
Thu Apr 6 17:04:01 EDT 2017

put format("00:00:00", "9:50:00") produces 00:00:00.
put format("##:##:##", "9:50:00") produces ##:##:##.
put format("nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn", "192.168.1.1") produces nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn

Point being, format is great for formatting NUMBERS, not converting truncated numeric values in between delimiters or inserting literal string values in the appropriate places. Some may not see the need for this, or can thing of one off methods for doing each of these. So can I. I just don't like solving a problem over and over, and once solved I like to share that with others.

As I said, Excel does this pretty well. I just need to mimic what they are doing. The trick would be to find the start and end character of actual numeric values in a string and replace them with reformatted versions in the format string. So "   1.55" with a format string of "00.000%" would return "01.550%" (not that you would need that, but you get the point.)

Bob S