Gradients with transparency?

Terry Judd terry.judd at unimelb.edu.au
Mon Apr 3 19:56:08 EDT 2017

Thanks for all the responses. I really wanted to use a graphic rather than importing an image for all the reasons that Scott mentioned. Mark’s method works of adding an alpha value to the ramp settings of the fillgradient property of the graphic works perfectly so there is a (relatively) simple solution available. I just need to make sure that I remember it for next time as well ;)

While we’re on gradient properties, does anyone else ever have problems getting the backgroundColor gradient setting window to show up? Unless you have a pretty big screen (I’m working on a 13 inch Macbook Air) the properties palette is so wide that the settings window can open off screen, making it inaccessible. If you close the properties palette, open it again and move it so the right edge is clear of the right edge of the screen then you can usually get the settings window to show.  But not always.

Terry...

On 4/04/2017 8:41 am, "use-livecode on behalf of Alejandro Tejada via use-livecode" <use-livecode-bounces at lists.runrev.com on behalf of use-livecode at lists.runrev.com> wrote:

    Hi Terry,

    Terry Judd wrote:
    > I want to overlay a graphic with a vertical gradient
    > that blends from transparent to white to give the effect
    > that the underlying content is fading out as you move
    > down the screen. I’m able to achieve this effect using a
    > black and white linear gradient in combination with the
    > blendScreen ink but I need to be able to export the object
    > (gradient plus underlying controls) as an image keeping the
    > effect intact. When I export it now the ink effect is lost.

    In LiveCode, there is another way to do this:

    1- Import an Image without Transparency... or
    create a snapshot of a group, vector graphic,
    field, or any other control inside the card.

    2A- Import a transparent PNG... or
    2B- Take a snapshot of a vector graphic that
    contains a Green to transparent gradient

    For example:

    on mouseUp
    import snapshot from grc 1 with effects
    end mouseUp

    3- Put that transparent PNG on top of
    the image without transparency...

    4- Run this script from a button
    to create a mask from PNG...

    on mouseUp
    set the locklocation of img 1 to true
    import snapshot from img 1
    set the loc of last img to the loc of img 1
    delete img 1
    -- after deleting img 1 (an image without transparency),
    -- then img 2 (a transparent png) becomes img 1

    crop img 2 to the rect of img 1

    set the width of img 1 to the width of img 2
    set the height of img 1 to the height of img 2

    set the alphadata of image 2 to the alphadata of image 1
    end mouseUp

    Download a stack from this forum thread:

     Alphamask from Transparent http://PNG.livecode.zip (1k)

    Al