Best way to extend IDE (toolbar)?

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Mon Sep 12 08:41:38 EDT 2016

Hi Mike, thanks for responding.

 > Funny you should bring this up, as I spent most of yesterday in the script
 > editor, which is a bunch of script-only stacks (text files with LC script
 > in them with the ".livecode" suffix).

Do you (does anyone) know where script-only stacks are actually documented? I
can't find it in the User Guide - I see references in the release notes to
changes relating, I'm vaguely aware from mailing lists of conversations about
them; but I can't find anything for a new person to discover that these exist,
how they are used, what are the constraints, etc.

For example, do they really have the same suffix as traditional stack files?
That seems pretty odd.

 > a) What are you adding, and would this be something that my long-standing
 > goal of hoarde-sourcing the IDE might want to add to the to-do list?

My toolbar is a rag-bag of things I've found useful over the years; the most
important is 'backup+save', which I've used since the pre-history of
Revolution (before 1.0) when crashes were uncomfortably common. Also shortcut
buttons to edit stack and card scripts, to open the Application Overview, to
edit recent scripts (popup keeps track of five most recent), to paste object
references into scripts (currently broken due to some bugs in LC8), to build a
standalone with automatic versioning, to fish windows that have slipped under
the toolbar back into the useable area, etc etc etc...

Dunno about the horde-sourcing - it's a question of what's useful to who.
Maybe if there was a convenient way to maintain a library of such things which
could easily be selected from.

 > b) Instead of adding a palette, why not just expand the toolbar itself and
 > add to it?

Because at any time I maintain lots of versions of LiveCode, and I prefer to
keep the distribution 'clean'.

 > c) This sounds like it might be a good chance to build an IDE extension,
 > which can be fairly easy to do.

Aha! So there is a thing called an "IDE extension"? That sounds like what I
might be looking for. Where is this documented, how does it differ from
plugins, widgets, libraries etc?

TIA,

Ben