What's everyone working on this month? (September 2016)

Jim MacConnell jmac at consensustech.com
Thu Sep 1 18:43:46 EDT 2016

Lots of little things but definitely not cutting edge stuff and, frankly,
mostly for my own satisfaction.

I'd love to get involved in cloud stuff but that's outside of where I work's
comfort zone since we need to maintain production regardless of outside
influences (note: this production involves metals and bending and welding
and.... not software production).  I mostly code to show possibilities of
electronic information access and to demonstrate the potential of simple
tools in a manufacturing environment. Livecode not being a "real" language
that IT can support means most of the things I do don't get implemented
unless they are really  "non-mission critical". At some point in the future,
I may be able to generate enough demand that we decide to do real in-house
development. Still, it's fun to poke people with... of course that's
doable... see... here it is!

Some of my current activities:

.         Update to an app to simply display phone numbers for people,
conference rooms, etc.  - Actually cute "phone shaped" app with slide out
search /result display area.

.         Update to an app to provide product safety info and facilitate
access MSDS sheets stored as PDFs (search based on material description,
vendor or MSDS ID#) and display results in format of standard diamond label
and separate window with actual PDF

.         Update to an app to display operational info (operator guides,
setup sheets, etc.) for production machines (presses, lathes, etc.) based on
which part and operation is needed. Allows barcode reader based selection.

.         Developing an app to extract information from specifically
formatted Excel spreadsheets in order to generate mobile friendly work
instructions.

.         Developing a vision based inspection system for tubes that require
specific tape label wraps at specific locations and directions.

.         Creating a simple inkjet pattern simulator (to be used to create
"image" of printed info to be used to search for matching area on tube in
above system)

.         (Complete but unwanted) App to parse text data from an ERP system
(Shop floor work orders) to extract references to external data (sketches,
specifications, etc.), creating links to that data on the fly and presenting
the work order on a touchscreen enabling single touch access to all the data
needed by the shop floor employees.

Plus other non-livecode projects that would love to be Livecode projects but
can't be yet due to institutional biases.