What's everyone working on this month? (September 2016)

Bob Sneidar bobsneidar at iotecdigital.com
Thu Sep 1 13:27:00 EDT 2016

I have an app called Forms Generator (you've probably seen me talk about it in the list) which has data entry forms that populate a mySQL or sqLite database. It also has the ability to import fillable PDF forms, analyze the structure of the PDF and save the PDF file binary in the database so I can easily re-create the fillable form anywhere on demand.

When importing the form I have a card which allows the user to associate table columns with fillable form controls, and then save those settings as a template. This adds the form to a forms menu for selection later.

Once all the desired forms have been imported and the associations made, a user can query for the data he wants in the data entry forms (stacks/cards) and select the form he wants to fill. The app can then launch the acrobat app of his choice (defined in the preferences pane) and populate the fillable form from the queried data.

The app is more like a framework for building Forms Generating applications, and could work for any mySQL or sqLite database, but currently I am using it for our service forms for the company I presently work for. Not only do we have clean professional looking forms to present to our customers for signing, but the data entered (copier setup, IP configuration, SMTP settings etc) is shared among my technicians for future reference.

Currently it is in production (I have been using it for over 2 years) but I am adding features. I am working on adding a Contacts feature. There are customers and sites. A contact belongs to a customer, but can be the default customer contact, the default site contact for a site for that customer, or a default IT contact for a site. Additionally more contacts can be added like alternate site contact, Accounts Receivable, Department manager etc. which are customizable by the end users.

I have in the way of modules, Customers, Sites, Devices, Accessories, Service and Inventory (equipment and accessories). I also, of course have the forms import/maintenance module which makes the whole thing work. I am adding the contacts feature now. If anyone is curious, I can put up some screen shots somewhere so you can get an idea of what it does.

Now that I have two techs working for me I have ready made compliant beta testers at my disposal. :-)

Bob S