How to ensure that 'close stack' destroys the stack in RAM?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Oct 17 15:07:41 EDT 2016

On 10/17/16 5:39 AM, Mark Waddingham wrote:
> This isn't in fact a bug, just a subtle interaction with the stackFiles
> property of your 'Master' stack.
>
> The stackFiles property maps names of stacks to filenames - it basically
> means that when the engine resolves a chunk reference 'stack <name>', if
> there is no stack in memory with the name <name>, then it will look
> through the stackFiles property of the stacks in memory to try and
> resolve it (starting with the stack of the script being executed).
> Furthermore, it resolves things relative to the path to the stack
> containing the stackFile line.
>
> So, if you have a line 'DataStack -> DataStack.livecode' in the
> stackFiles, and if there is a DataStack.livecode file next to the stack
> containing that stackFiles line; a reference 'stack DataStack' will
> *always* resolve and load the stack.

In my case, the issue happens in the IDE instead of a standalone, and
there are no stackfiles set up anywhere. It's likely I'm doing something
in the scripts that causes the stacks to remain in memory, but the
scripts used to work in LC 6 and stopped working in LC 7.

But it isn't a huge issue for us, and providing you with a test suite
would mean sending you a mountain of files...the stacks are built and/or
updated from hundreds of text and image files on disk. But I'll be happy
to do that if you like. :)

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com