Understanding 'the defaultStack'

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto revolution at jaedworks.com
Tue Oct 11 03:13:24 EDT 2016

At 4:42 PM -0400 10/9/2016, Paul Dupuis wrote:
>Some long time ago, someone on this list suggested a control block such
>as "using <objectReference>" ... "end using"
>
>Where any object references in the block would always be evaluated
>relative to the object referred to in the start of the using block.
>So:
>
>using card 3 of stack "X"
>   put the label of btn "A" into myVar
>end using
>
>Would look for button "A" on card 3 of stack "X"

How should this work for subroutines? Should the "using" scope also
propagate to any handlers called from within the block?

   on mouseUp
     using stack "My Stack"
       answer field 1 of card 2 -- of stack "My Stack"
       doSomethingElse
     end using
   end mouseUp

   -- maybe in another object's script:
   on doSomethingElse
      answer field 2 of card 2 -- of My Stack? Or the current defaultStack?
   end doSomethingElse

I'm inclined to think that anything that's called from within a
"using" block should use that scope in turn.