My own productivity app

Mike Bonner bonnmike at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 15:35:52 EST 2016

The only way I know of to monitor keystrokes/mouse events is with a loop.
Check to see if keysdown() is empty, and "if the mouse is down."   Certain
things won't trigger the mouse is down such as grabbing a title bar and
dragging it around (on windows)  but most other clicks will work fine.

For a simple test, I made a stack with a field and a button. the following
code is in the button.
local sRunning

on mouseUp
if sRunning is empty then put false into sRunning
put not sRunning into sRunning
loopit
end mouseUp

command loopit
if sRunning then
   if the keysdown is not empty then
      put keysdown() into field 1
   else
      put empty into field 1
   end if
   if the mouse is down then
      set the backgroundcolor of field 1 to red
   else
      set the backgroundcolor of field 1 to empty
   end if
   send loopit to me in 100 millisec
end if
end loopit

Placing the window where its visible but not focused and work with another
program.  Every click the field turns red, every keypress and the keys that
are down show up in the field.  With a delay of 100 seconds its possible to
miss an event, but if a person were actually working actively most
keypresses and clicks will be caught.  It should be possible to use either
applescript or vbscript to note what window is focused, though im not sure
how to tell if one is working in a facebook tab or not.