Saving images to webserver

Keith Martin thatkeith at mac.com
Tue Nov 15 05:33:08 EST 2016

On 15 Nov 2016, at 10:20, John Allijn wrote:

> Is ftp safe enough? If I understand it right, the password is sent
> within the URL (not encrypted)?

Heh. Well, that is something that shouldn't be blindly ignored, but as
to how risky that is compared to other methods, I'll have to defer to
others.

(I do know that of all the hacks I've seen *personally* in 20+ years of
running web sites, none have been through cracking ftp details directly
– all have been through exploits with vulnerabilities in stuff such as
wordpress or custom php scripts. But that's just one person's experience
and no reason to be complacent.)

Perhaps Richard Gaskin could chip in? I know he created an ftp-based
tool or two very early on in the Revolution era.

---

Keith Martin
Senior Lecturer, LCC (University of the Arts London)
Technical Editor, MacUser magazine (1997-2015)
http://PanoramaPhotographer.com
http://thatkeith.com
+44 (0)7909541365

---