Revenue and the Open Source edition

Mike Kerner MikeKerner at roadrunner.com
Wed May 4 08:38:18 EDT 2016

Exactly, Kevin, Monte,

The "priority bug fixes" is nothing more than a way for all of us to say
"me, first", and that is totally sensible and reasonable.  How important is
that bug that you reported, vs. all the other bugs that are in the DB?  Do
you really think that LC is going to hold some bug hostage until someone
ponies up to fix it?  Of course not.  That would kill the "recurring
subscription" model, that they and so many other software and development
tool firms have gone to, because all of us would just pay for the bugs we
want fixed, instead of paying an annual subscription.  I also completely
disagree that LC has tried to keep people from writing their own
externals.  Monte wasn't a member of the LC team until recently.  Before
that, he was a prolific writer of externals and a prolific adapter of C
libraries to LC externals.  How to do it is documented.  When I had
something I wanted, I just chose to pay Monte to do it, rather than do it
myself.  I get it if you can't afford to, but you can learn to do it.

LCB is in its absolute infancy, but it is a first attempt to push the LC
inyards up toward LCS, so that more of us will work on it and add features
to it.

It also bears repeating that I have told Kevin, and others, that I think
there is not enough bang for the buck for the Business edition, so we don't
buy it.

LCC is FOSS.  Take it, fork it, run with it.  Hell, there is nothing
stopping me from fixing the things in the SE that I want fixed, or added.
We paid whatever it was into the KS because we wanted the security of
knowing that in the event that LC ever dies, the code will still be there,
should we, or someone else, choose to pick it up and go with it, without
having to go through all the hogwash of Administration to get it.