Revenue and the Open Source edition

Monte Goulding monte at appisle.net
Wed May 4 00:47:39 EDT 2016

> On 4 May 2016, at 2:20 PM, JB <sundown at pacifier.com> wrote:
> And so it is obvious everyone cannot be
> involved in programming the open source
> version for many different reasons.  That
> leaves people little chance to participate
> by adding code.  Use it, point out bugs
> and pay money.  That is not what I was
> hoping for.

There are many ways we can get involved with the development of the platform. All of these have been done by contributors since going open source although I doubt this is a complete list:
- C/C++/Objective-C/Java
   - Contribute to the engine code by fixing bugs or adding features
   - Contribute to the externals that come with LiveCode
   - Contribute to or implement your own externals and release under a FOSS license
- LiveCode Builder
   - Contribute to widgets and libraries that come with LiveCode
   - Contribute to or implement your own widgets and libraries and release under a FOSS license
- LiveCode Script
   - Contribute to the script only stack portions of the IDE (most of the code in LC8)
   - Contribute to or implement script libraries, frameworks and custom controls and release under a FOSS license
- Documentation
   - Edit the dictionary entries and guides
   - Create new guides and contribute
   - Create learning resources and release under a FOSS license
   - Answer questions on stackoverflow, the lists and forums, facebook etc
- Testing
   - Write good quality bug reports
   - Find old reports, test in the latest version and comment with your results

Cheers

Monte