Multiple Versions of LC on Mac

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Mar 31 17:00:33 EDT 2016

On 3/31/2016 3:44 PM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami wrote:

> If we maintain all these in the applications folder (on mac)
>
> LiveCode Indy 7.5.app
> LiveCode Indy 8.0.0 (dp 16).app
> LiveCode Indy 8.0 (dp 15).app
>
> etc.
>
> and be sure to close anyone of them before using another...
> are we getting ourselves into trouble at all, does this affect the preferences?
>
> Of course we  would need to "save stack with format version" to run in 7... and features not available 8 disappear e.g. use of new json lib.
>
> Any other caveats?

I almost always have at least 3 versions of LC running at once, and
sometimes more. You don't need to quit them to alternate. The main
caveat is that if you have the same stack open in more than one version,
you have to remember which version you saved it in. If you forget,
you're apt to overwrite the changes you made in one copy of LC with
changes you made in a different copy. The best thing is not to open the
same stack in more than one version at a time.

Right now I have a client project open in 7.1.3, a partially-finished
test stack open in 7.1.1, and a "learning/tinkering" stack open in
8.0dp16. For a long time I also kept 6.6.5 open for a project that
needed it. I sort of use copies of LC the way some people use
desktops/spaces.

LC loads preferences on startup. You can change preferences in any
version at any time, but whichever one you quit first will be the prefs
you get when you launch any other copy of LC. While they are all
running, they're just using the prefs they loaded when they launched.

LC 6 has a different prefs file than LC 7 and up, so if you're still
running 6 then changing its prefs won't affect higher versions of LC.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com