Script Only Stack Architecture

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Mar 30 22:59:20 EDT 2016

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami wrote:

 > Also note that it if you use "open" to open your script only stack
 > file... it is still not in the message path

It doesn't need to be in the message path.  It just needs to be in
memory.  My earlier posts offered three different ways to load a stack
into memory.

 > and your behaviors will fail, furthermore, if you put "start using
 > stack" (in an open stack, preopenstack  handler) to load your script
 > only stack, it will receive all messages from the stack and not just
 > from the child control to which it is assigned.

That's true, but it's also true that if you decide to insert a script
into the frontScripts or backscripts it will also be global in scope.

I'm not sure we need to overload that Dictionary entry with every
possible thing people might do.

Most folks use "start using" and "insert script" when they want a
specific global availability.  I think it's fine that those Dict entries
handle those.

For the behaviors Dict entry, rather than list all the things we might
not want to do it seems better to just provide at least a couple ways to
do what we actually want to do.

Any of the three methods I mentioned earlier will work.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems