revIgniter installation

Matt Maier blueback09 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 21:30:20 EDT 2016

Can someone help clarify the revIgniter installation instructions?

I'm trying to get started with learning how to work with this tool but it's
assuming more experience than I have.

I want to confirm that I got my own computer and my server setup correctly
for working with FileZilla and revIgniter. The original instructions are
copied below for reference.

1) download revIgniter.zip
2) extract revIgniter.zip
3) open folder revIgniter1.8.1
4) select everything and send it to a new *.zip file
5) rename that new *.zip file something meaningful
6) fire up cPanel for website
7) navigate to public_html/website.com
8) upload somethingMeaningful.zip
9) extract somethingMeaningful.zip
-- now you've got public_html/website.com/index.lc (instead of public_html/
website.com/revIgniter1.8.1/index.lc)
11) create a folder called website.com
12) extract somethingMeaningful.zip into website.com
13) get FileZilla all credentialed up and tell it to synchronize browsing
between website.com on your computer and on the server
14) the base URL in revIgniter's application/config/config.lc will be
www.website.com

A lot of this is because cPanel will only upload multiple files and/or
folders if they're zipped together and FileZilla will only upload
individual items; it won't sync entire repositories.

So, at the end of this, what I've got is the contents of revIgniter1.8.1 is
now the contents of website.com on my computer and server. Now when I edit
or add to revIgniter's templates on my computer I can upload the changes to
the right places on the server using FileZilla. Did I do that correctly?

Installation Instructions

revIgniter is installed in four steps:

   1. Unzip the package.
   2. Upload the revIgniter folders and files to your server. Normally the
   index.lc file will be at your root.
   3. Open the application/config/config.lc file with a text editor and set
   your base URL. If you intend to use encryption or sessions, set your
   encryption key.
   4. If you intend to use a database, open the application/config/
   database.lc file with a text editor and set your database settings.

If you wish to hide the location of your revIgniter files you can rename
the system folder to something more private. If you do rename it, you must
open your main index.lc file and set the gSystemFolder variable at the top
of the page with the new name you've chosen.

To increase security even further you can move your system and application
folder above web root. Before doing so please read the section Managing
Your Application
<http://revigniter.com/userGuide/general/managing_apps.html>.

That's it!

If you're new to revIgniter, please read the Getting Started
<http://revigniter.com/userGuide/overview/getting_started.html> section of
the User Guide to begin learning how to build dynamic irev applications.
Enjoy!