Separate Widget palette

Jim Lambert jiml at netrin.com
Tue Mar 22 12:37:42 EDT 2016

The Revolution/LiveCode ‘Tools Palette’ has never been a purely tools palette.
The Browse, Selection, Graphic & Paint tools are strictly tools. You select a tool and the pointer becomes that tool. Tools let you build or modify things.

All the other things on the Tool Palette are actually objects either built-in or, now, widget objects. Objects are already built. You just drag them whole from the palette onto a card. At which point LiveCode courteously chooses the Selection Tool for you to use to modify your new object.
There really is quite a different usage pattern between these two types.

If we were to have two different palettes, we might consider a Tools Palette and an Object Palette.
The Tools Palette would only have tools in it. The Object Palette would only have built-in and Widget objects.

I’m not saying we should do this, but it might make the difference between tools and objects clearer for newbies.

Jim Lambert