Release 8.0.0 DP 16

panagiotis merakos panos.merakos at livecode.com
Thu Mar 17 14:13:30 EDT 2016

Dear list members,

We are pleased to announce the release of LiveCode 8.0.0 DP 16.

Developer Preview Release
=========================
Warning: this is not a stable release. Please ensure you back up your
stacks before testing them.

*IMPORTANT*: It is especially vital that you back up your stacks before
testing them in 8.0 DP 16, as there has been a change to the save command
in DP 13. The IDE has been updated to accommodate this change, but we
strongly recommend making back-ups in case there is unforeseen data loss.

*IMPORTANT*: Your stacks may appear different on first opening in 8.0 DP
16, due to the improvement in desktop OS theming introduced in DP 14. The
theming can be reverted to legacy on a per-object basis using the new
"theme" property. For more information, see the release notes.

Getting the Release
===================
You can get the release at https://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/.

Release Contents
================

Replacing text in fields
------------------------
Thanks to the feature exchange, you can now find and replace text in fields
while preserving the text's styling.

Completely revised widgets
--------------------------

All of the core widgets shipped in the IDE have been updated, giving them
much more consistent behaviour, property names, signal names, appearance,
and documentation.

Brand new Start Center
----------------------
The IDE has a new, useful, attractive, and smaller Start Center.

Interactive Tutorial
--------------------
First-time users are now invited to try a new interactive tutorial that
walks them through the process of making a complete mobile application with
LiveCode.

Themed UI fonts
---------------
Several special font names have been added to LiveCode so that you can, for
example, set the font of a control to the native, default font used for
buttons.

No CEF on Mac OS X
------------------
Due to the lack of support for 32-bit CEF on Mac OS X, we will no longer be
using libCEF to provide an embedded browser on OS X. This applies to both
the revBrowser external and the new browser widget.

Easy installation on Mac OS X
-----------------------------
LiveCode no longer has an installer on Mac OS X; just open the .DMG file
and drag the LiveCode app bundle to the Applications folder.

...and 69 bug fixes!

Known issues
============
* Windows 10 theming causes display issues with the dictionary, script
editor and property inspector

* CEF Browser (and therefore the dictionary and browser widget) does not
currently work on 32-bit Linux

* HTML5 standalones do not currently work when they contain extensions with
dependencies

* 64-bit standalones for Mac OS X do not have support for audio recording
or the revVideoGrabber external

* The tutorial is affected by a window shape issue on Windows, and has a
minor error in one of the scripts

Feedback
========
LiveCode 8 is still in development, so we'd love to hear any feedback you
have on it. There are a number of features that we'd like to implement but
aren't ready yet, and the existing features are subject to change during
development - we can't guarantee that extensions written in Developer
Previews will continue to work the same way in later versions.

Please report any bugs encountered on our Bugzilla at
http://quality.livecode.com/

We have a forum available for discussing LiveCode Builder at
http://forums.livecode.com/viewforum.php?f=93

Have fun!

The LiveCode Team