Re: Re: ≠ or not equal

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Mar 17 12:51:04 EDT 2016

Mark Wieder wrote:

On 03/17/2016 07:02 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >>> "!=" is a good solution (as it is one out of the ASCCI 7-bit range).
 >>
 >> Agreed.  I was very impressed Mark Wieder implemented that as quickly
 >> as he did - thanks Mark!
 >

 > <sigh>
 > @mwieder: Thanks for your contribution. Unfortunately, though, we
 > don't feel it is an appropriate addition to the LiveCode language.

<double-plus sigh>
In a language that has "playLoudness" to mean "soundVolume", a
"destroyStack" property that doesn't destroy the stack, and "this me",
adopting the world's most common way to express non-equivalence would
seem a shoe-in.

Esp. given that "<>" is supported but almost unique to our language, and
"≠" has been suggested by a member of the core dev team to be elevated
from an undocumented convenience for HyperCard ports to a native token:
<http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-livecode/2016-March/224664.html>

How does one even type "≠" in any keyboard other than a Mac?

If we were talking about "==" I could understand.  The difference
between "=" and "==" in languages that support both accounts for
millions of lost hours for developers and end-users due to accidental
bugs every year.

But "!="?  I just don't see the harm.  Sometimes accommodating the rest
of the world isn't a bad thing.

At a time when I hope we're all keenly sensitive to the need for
increased adoption, this seems more of a focus on "We're different" than
"We help you get the job done more efficiently".

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems