≠ or not equal

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Wed Mar 16 05:45:37 EDT 2016

On 2016-03-16 10:36, Peter TB Brett wrote:
> On 16/03/2016 09:09, Terence Heaford wrote:
>>
>> I have been advised that ≠ (not equal) does not compile in Linux.
>>
>> It does seem to work in OSX.
>>
>> If ≠ is not a keyword then why does it work in OSX?
>
> Hi Terence,
>
> Ali and I had a brief look into this, and we can confirm that:
>
> * it works on OS X
> * it doesn't work on Linux
> * there's no immediately obvious reason for this

The reason is historical - prior to version 7 it wasn't possible to make
it work.

The 'not equal' char and other maths related symbols are *only* present
in MacRoman, not Windows-1252 or 8859-1 (the encodings used pre-7 on
Windows and Linux) and since the engine only previously worked with the
native encoding of the platform it was only ever supported on Mac.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps