Input Fields: Android vs iOS?

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Tue Mar 15 18:18:34 EDT 2016

I'm trying to port an iOS app to Android and am running up against some
sizing/positioning issues with native input fields.  When testing on a
Galaxy S4, it seems I need to double the height used in the iOS input
field settings, or the text displays clipped.  Am I missing something when
it comes to establishing the input's rect? Do I need to account for
margins, font specs, or something else?

It also seems the return key options on Android are more limited than
those available on iOS, which is not surprising.  But these issues beg the
question: is there a document somewhere that defines the differences
between input settings on Android vs iOS?

Thanks & Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, UX/UI Design