Write to IPTC Core Data of Image Files?

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami brahma at hindu.org
Fri Mar 11 14:53:57 EST 2016

@ Other BR :-)

 However, we found interesting variations in
what could be ready by which applications. I

ExifTool looks good, very doable to drive from LC scripts.

Years ago we were using some proprietary web slideshow framework and I recall there was some discrepancy about where that framework thought a "caption" should go/could be found... as there is no such designated field as such in the IPTC spec: for very good reason: "Caption" is too broad and could be a container for one or more metadata depending on the use case: are you exposing a description only? the description plus photographer? A "label/title" plus a description? the filename?  date? etc... all could be placed in a container called "caption" in any given presentation layer context.. yes, it turned out to be a little can of worms once you got in.

My target fields are, initially, the IPTC "Description" and "Keywords" as they appear in Bridge. Where those among the "wandering-where-is-it metadata" that you found-could-not-be-read  previously?

Kauai BR

related OT: Mark Smith's ID3 tags script still works on Linux a loooong time after he moved on to the land of our ancestors, in case anyone is interested in tagging audio on the server.