[Blog] Script Only Stacks

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Fri Mar 4 05:38:31 EST 2016

On 2016-03-03 20:45, Tim Bleiler wrote:
> It probably doesn’t matter much as long as it’s made clear what
> encodings are allowed. I would guess most users taking advantage of
> this feature could live with that. Casual users may be confused
> however, because most of us don’t give much thought to such details; a
> text file is a text file. Mark’s blog post doesn’t make any
> distinction either and implies any text file should work.

The current implementation in the engine uses the BOM to determine what
the encoding is - if there is no BOM then it assumes the native encoding
(e.g. MacRoman on Mac).

In terms of line endings, the engine converts all line endings to ASCII
10 (the universal LiveCode line ending). For reference these are:
    CR LF (ascii 13 then ascii 10 - default windows line endings)
    CR (ascii 13 - old-style Mac line endings)
    LF (ascii 10 - unix line endings)

So, it shouldn't matter what line endings the input file has, and
whether they are mixed or not.

I'm surprised lack of BOM in a simple script only stack would cause it
to fail to load... Tim, could you attach the script only stack files you
tried to create which fail to load to a bug report so we can take a
look?

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps