Open source, closed source, and the value of code

Erik Beugelaar ebeugelaar at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 04:12:11 EST 2016

Hi all,

I have read most of this message thread too and for me personal this discussion is not about licenses etc.
In my opinion this discussion fired up just because of MONEY (no news btw) and emotions (Apple/Hypercard/LiveCode).

Enterprise users of LC will not have any problem to pay up to 999$/year license costs or even more if it is benefitting their businesses.

So, it seems that a lot of users who bought LC before the community editions seems to be anxious to decide within a couple of months to pay again 499$/year locked license costs beside of the costs they maybe have spent already to follow academies and buying extensions in the past. Maybe because of feelings they miss all the new features of LC? I don’t know.
For me it is important if it is really so easy to develop new called widgets in LCB in the future. If it is like Xamarin that you will need to know both API’s of targeted platforms I just go on with native programming as I do now unfortunately.

For me personal I bought a complete license of 5.5 in 2012 I guess because of the ‘develop 10x faster’ slogan but this maybe the case if you develop only cross-platform DESKTOP applications which LC does very good but to develop cross-platform MOBILE apps with LC is for me another story beside of the nice IDE of LC.

To spent 999$ by the time I think the product 8.x is mature, I will take a look again if LC is a time killer in cross-platform MOBILE development and if so, I will not have any problem to pay 999$/year.

Kind regards,
Erik

Sent from Matwetwe <http://www.about.me/beugelaar>