AW: LC 8 Random crash with QT set the filename of player on OS X

Tiemo Hollmann TB toolbook at kestner.de
Tue Jun 7 02:24:13 EDT 2016

Thank you Fraser for your explanations
Tiemo

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: use-livecode [mailto:use-livecode-bounces at lists.runrev.com] Im Auftrag
von Fraser Gordon
Gesendet: Montag, 6. Juni 2016 17:45
An: How to use LiveCode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com>
Betreff: Re: LC 8 Random crash with QT set the filename of player on OS X

On 6 Jun 2016, at 10:08, Tiemo Hollmann TB <toolbook at kestner.de> wrote:

> I filed a bug report, but I could reproduce it only in my complex live
stack and not in a test stack with a handy recipe.
> It is LC 8.0 and yes it is QT. I know about all the QT hassles and have
waited for years for a solution from Edinburgh.

> My main product includes about 20000 videos, which I have compressed 7
years ago with a Sorenson codec, which is not supported by AVFoundation and
on Windows we don't have a LC productive release with the new player yet.

> Even if LC 8.1 is released, I can't create just a program update for my
customers, because of the non supported codec, I have to supply complete new
videos (about 8GB), so I can't make a  only update for my product, actually
It has to be a major version upgrade, shipping again on DVD. Even if I will
have some day compressed all 20000 videos with a new codec (yes I have batch
compressor from Sorenson) I have to develop an upgrade strategy for all my
customers. All in all it will probably take me a year from now on, until I
got rid of QT.

> It is especially annoying for me, that I have a new product, which is
shortly before shipping, which I also only could develop depending on QT,
because this product depends on the same 20000 videos being installed on the
users machines and there was no alternative.

> ">  - QT can not be supported on Mac 64 bit"
> What does this mean exactly? I have an iMac with a Intel Core i5 processor
and I thought up to now, it would run as 64 bit. I don't find any system
information about 32/64 bit. But QT is running fine on this machine and I
haven't had any complains about Mac users up to now. What does this mean?
Where can I check, if my system is running in 32 or 64 bit?

Apple have no longer support QuickTime on Windows and it is deprecated on
OSX; it has seen no substantial changes since the release of AVFoundation in
OSX 10.7. Additionally, it has never been available to 64-bit applications
on any platform. Apple strongly encourage all apps on OSX to use
AVFoundation instead of QuickTime.

LiveCode pre-8.0 was a 32-bit only app and wasn’t directly affected by the
deprecation of QT. However, since 8.0, we have also offered a 64-bit
version, which offers performance improvements and, in future, will allow
increased functionality (many interesting frameworks on OSX, like MapKit,
are 64-bit only). Basically, 64-bit is now the norm on OSX and 32-bit no
longer sees any new features from Apple. By default, the IDE runs in 32-bit
mode (it can be switched to 64-bit mode by changing the app’s properties in
Finder). Standalones can be built to include 32-bit mode, 64-bit mode or
both; if you select 64-bit mode, QuickTime will not be available.

The DirectShow framework that the new player on Windows uses supports
user-installed codecs; if your users were to install a Sorenson decoder,
they would retain the ability to play your videos without you having to
re-encode. As far as I can tell, the decoder is proprietary to Sorenson and
is not something LiveCode can supply; you may have access to it as part of
your Sorenson compressor, however.

Unfortunately, AVFoundation does not support installing additional codecs
and does not support the Sorenson codec. For this reason, we maintain the
ability to use QuickTime in 32-bit mode on OSX (even in 8.1) but there is
nothing we can do to make it work using AVFoundation or in 64-bit mode.
Apple could remove QuickTime entirely in some future OSX. If re-encoding
your videos is a major undertaking, it might be better to start now in
readiness for when QT is no longer available.

Fraser
preferences: