A DataGrid is not a spreadsheet

stephen barncard stephenREVOLUTION2 at barncard.com
Fri Jul 29 18:40:18 EDT 2016

yes there is a lot of handy stuff in a datagrid, all designed to not make
you have to re-invent the wheel.

I've created a proof of concept stack I made for myself called 'quicksheet'
that uses simple text files and tab separated fields to  set up and display
columnar data.

The text format is simple - the first line is column names and the last
line is column widths so when the text file is loaded everything is labeled
and spaced according to the last save.

Double clicking over a field will open an entry dialog where detailed
multi-line data can be entered.   Returns in a field are converted to
Decimal 11, just like Filemaker.

perhaps I should make it available, as is..   I'd have to document a few
things.

On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 1:55 PM, Graham Samuel <livfoss at mac.com
<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','livfoss at mac.com');>> wrote:

> Do you mean that a standalone can allow text to be entered in cells like
> in a spreadsheet without further coding? Obviously one would need scripting
> to add spreadsheet-like functions such as arithmetic operations; and to
> extend the functionality to manipulation of formulae would be a major task.
> But just being able to “click in an empty cell and enter data” would be a
> good start.
>
> I have always tried not to use Datagrids as the seem to me so
> extraordinarily complicated. But if one were to write a “simplified
> spreadsheet” widget, would a Datagrid be the place to start? In a way I
> suppose the web of functionality in a Datagrid makes it a kind of
> proto-widget.
>
> Curious

Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
mixstream.org