"fork" command?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Jan 8 19:45:04 EST 2016

Monte Goulding wrote:

 >> On 9 Jan 2016, at 9:35 am, Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >> ...if one were to make a sort of Node.lc I would imagine they'd
 >> need to hand off socket connections to workers, no?
 >
 > Or you could just act as an intermediary accepting connections from
 > whatever is making the request and then routing the incoming data to
 > the appropriate child process.

I've used that and it seems to work well enough, but my concern is that
if scaled large enough it may be even better to not have a single
instance handling all connections.

Admittedly this is completely theoretical for me at the moment.  I don't
have any project I'm working on right now that needs to solve the C10k
problem.  I'm just hoping to ensure that if/when I come up with
something really successful, I will have built it on a toolkit that can
scale.  And when we consider Eve Online, we know scripting languages are
up for the task; I'd just like to have confidence LiveCode is one of them.

 > Check the docs for mod_fcgid where there are settings to control the
 > number of processes and spawn rate https://httpd.apache.org/mod_fcgid
 >/mod/mod_fcgid.html <https://httpd.apache.org/mod_fcgid
 > /mod/mod_fcgid.html>
 >
 > The nuts of it is that mod_fcgid will start a new process if it has
 > permission to and there’s a request but no idle processes.

Good lead to add to my studies.  Thanks.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems