"fork" command?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Jan 8 16:24:23 EST 2016

Monte Goulding wrote:
 >> On 9 Jan 2016, at 7:33 am, Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >>
 >> Now I'm super-confused: if we already have everything we need for
 >> FastCGI under Apache, what's all the fuss about?
 >
 > Isn’t it you making the fuss ;-)

I seem to be in good company, since FastCGI is something you and Todd
and Andre and many others have expressed an interest in.

I enjoy using LC for workgroup solutions where concurrency needs are
very modest, but for any potentially-successful public system we need
scalability beyond what CGI can provide.

If this is too hard to do I suppose we can recommend folks use PHP for
FastCGI and CPython for socket servers.  I'd just prefer to work in LC
if possible.

 > We don’t actually have everything. Someone either needs to implement
 > the FastCGI protocol in script or create an engine that uses libfcgi
 > to give us a fast cgi main loop.

Historically, the many discussions about FastCGI support here and
elsewhere in the LC community over the years have come down to issue
handling concurrency.  Since so much of LC is made of blocking commands,
handling of any single connection would in many cases lock up handling
of all others.

I'm fine with writing some code so the main process hands off tasks to
workers.  The issue I've run into is that I've found no way to hand the
socket connection to the worker.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems