[ANN] rsIsValid(Validation functions) library extension for LC8 and a call for contributors

Stephen MacLean smaclean at madmansoft.com
Fri Feb 26 15:29:14 EST 2016

Hi All,

I'm in process of creating a library extension for LC 8 that contains a set of
functions to provide data validation. I'm basing my initial set of functions on
a subset of the functions provided in ColdFusion, which I use for much of my backend development.

This extension will be available for free and under the MIT license as I’m trying to avoid any issues with including this in both the community edition as well as Indy and Business editions of LC. Source code is available on GitHub.

Validation is a very important part of ensuring the data being inputted is what is expected and preventing things like SQL injection attacks, etc. We all have our own different methods of doing validation and as with most things, some methods are better than others.

I'm putting out a call for contributors to provide their solutions to different validation functions, for both included and not included in the current iteration of rsIsValid. Your’s may be better than mine!

You do not have to know anything about LiveCode Builder, you can just submit your current LiveCode Script. I will work to put it into the extension via LCB. If you do contribute code, please make sure that any needed attribution is included in your code comments.

If you have a validation function you’d like to contribute, you can post it in the forum thread linked below or fork it on GitHub. I plan to have the initial functions done, packaged and uploaded to the extension area of LiveCode by the end of next week. The development branch on GitHub is https://github.com/renegadesteve/rsIsValid/tree/development

You can find a list of functions planned for the initial release on the forums at: http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=26653

My hope is that we can together build a very robust library of validation tools for the entire LC community.

Best,

Steve MacLean