updating progress to user during long handler

James Hale james at thehales.id.au
Tue Feb 23 09:23:10 EST 2016

I have a splash stack that loads and calls the main stack before closing.
While the splash is being displayed the preopen handler in my main stack asks for a file to locate.
Once located it then loads and processes the file before it takes over.

The processing takes some time and I have been trying to work out a way of informing the user of what it taking place.
I have a field on the splash stack which contains info text for the user and I would like to change this text as the processing is going on.

I thought I could use something like this...

    put "Extracting epub...." into mupdate
    send "updateme mupdate" to stack "splash"
    wait 0 milliseconds with messages

at different places within the processing handler and it would send the text off an update the splash stack field.
(updateme is a handler in the splash stack script which simply enters "mupdate" into the field.)

Obviously this doesn't work.

First, can I do what I want?
Second, where am I going wrong?

Any help would be appreciated.