lock and unlock files from script? - Mac options

Phil Davis revdev at pdslabs.net
Tue Feb 9 21:48:23 EST 2016

Hi Hermann,

I agree - the ss64.com site is quite amazing! Unfortunately my effort at
making a joke was not.

At first I suspected your email account had been hacked and the "Here's
my secret" message was pointing to a web site that sells something no
one needs - the wording was similar to spam emails I've seen from time
to time. Then after looking at the ss64.com site I realized I had spoken
too soon. (now wiping egg off face)

Thanks for the kind words about Shell Command Help!

Phil

On 2/9/16 6:33 PM, [-hh] wrote:
> Phil D. wrote:
>> I looked at the web site below and it makes sense now. Guess I'm not
>> used to such flowery language. Phil
>>
>> On 2/9/16 4:59 PM, Phil Davis wrote:
>>> I can smell them from here... smells fishy. Or maybe rotten, if
>>> Hermann is in Denmark.
>>> ;-)
> Phil,
>
> for example the entry for chflags contains the line
> "The immutable flag is equivalent to locking the file in the Finder's Show Info box."
>
> This info is missing on Apple's own (BSD-) man page for chflag. That's an example for
> why I used such 'flowery' superlatives. And I don't even know Simon.
>
> By the way: I'm from Germany and I like fish, also fish from Denmark.
> And I like flowers --- and Phil's 'Shell Command Help' in LC's Sample Stacks ;-)
>
> =======
>
> I found also the hint that
> setfile (Xcode CommandLine Tools) enables to lock/unlock.
>
> It's now somehow clear why Stephen and I got "execution errors" from applescript
> via LC:
> Locking/unlocking of a file requires to be owner or superuser of that file. This is
> perhaps better reflected by the Applescript Script Editor but may not be given
> if we "do ... as applescript".
>
> =======
> Hermann

Phil Davis