IPv6 & Apple

Charles Warwick charles at techstrategies.com.au
Mon Aug 22 23:22:46 EDT 2016

Hi Scott,

On 23/08/2016 7:07 am, Scott Rossi wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience with this?  The backend database guy I'm
> working with thinks this is a hosting issue (host needs to support IPv6).
> Will switching to a host that supports the new protocol allow us to
> troubleshoot/fix this?

You do not require a server that supports IPv6 to resolve the issue.

Apple are only enforcing that the client app works on a device that is
operating on a IPv6 only network, not that the app only connects to IPv6
servers.  Your app can still connect to IPv4 networks, as the IPv6 only
network provider will have DNS64/NAT64 translation in place for
connecting to IPv4 networks.

The problem will usually be because you are using hard-coded IPv4 IP
addresses rather than relying on DNS to resolve any hostnames, or that
you are using some networking component that doesn't support IPv6 in
your app.  What sort of network calls are you making from your app, are
they only HTTP/HTTPS?

Regards,

Charles