Performance issues LC8 versus earlier versions.

Monte Goulding monte at appisle.net
Sun Aug 21 19:45:31 EDT 2016

Hi Alex

It is always good to have them in the bug db so when know what people are running into. I know there was a big push during the LC 8 DP phase to try and get performance closer to LC 6.

Actually after looking into this I wouldn't mind seeing your benchmark script as I can’t really see how MCDataIsEqualTo could be improved all that much. It first checks if the byte counts match (in your case it should return true here) and then uses memcmp to compare the data in memory directly.

While it’s unrelated to LC 8 performance I’d personally be interested to know if taking an md5 or sha1 digest of each file and then comparing that would be faster. Probably not in a one off but this would be particularly critical if you are regularly comparing the same file with others. Also you probably want to set the caseSensitive to true for the comparisons.

Cheers

Monte