Bugs in 8.0.0 RC1 and trying to convince a colleague that LC is *not* flaky

RM richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 01:55:30 EDT 2016

I must be stupid, but this makes no sense to me at all:

"Open the script editor and search for some text that doesn't exist"

The thing that surprised me was when, on opening the script editor for a
button
LiveCode (err . . . RunRev) went from nothing to "on mouseUp".

And the fact that a script editor contains no text in no way indicates
that an "issue" exists.

This all looks a bit specious.

LiveCode 8 does contain bugs; but then so does Livecode 1, 2, 3, 4, 5,
6, and 7, and almost
every other piece of software ever produced, for the plain and simple
fact that programmers are not
gods, and as such cannot foresee every little thing on everyone's
computer system.

------ Personal wibble starts now --------

I programmed an interactive CD, "Listen Hear", for use in Scottish
schools with Livecode 2 about 13 years ago,
and the people who hired me refused to involve Beta testers, saying it
was a waste of time and money.

When the CDs came rolling off the press, there was 1 bug (and nothing
very serious at that); they went to an independent software
assessment bunch who told them that such a complicated bit of work
having only 1 bug was extremely rare and they should be very pleased
with it, and that "next time" they should make sure to do Beta testing.

The silly buggers paid me nothing beyond the initial modest advance and
went and hired a full-blown software team to produce
a new version using Director, which ended up crashing computers.

This is not a "Richmond is marvellous" exercise; this is a "Livecode is
marvellous" exercise.

------ End of personal wibble ----------

Considering that the Livecode people are trying to go from "small
potatoes" to a "whole field of tatties"
in the move from Livecode 7 (which is, despite some window dressing, not
that different from Livecode 4)
to Livecode 8, I am surprised that more things aren't wonky.

Certainly, what I have seen of Livecode on Windows 7 and Linux 32 bit,
the thing is super. The Linux 64 bit
needs work - but as this is the teams first foray into the waters of the
64 bit world that's probably
not surprising.

There are two ways of looking at the potato:

1. Ooh, look, parts of it are rotten.

2. Ooh, look, parts of it are very good.

Well, for starters, there are no rotten potatoes, only bits of a potato
that are a bit squishy.

Richmond.