Volunteer github guru for documentation submissions?

Charles Warwick charles at techstrategies.com.au
Sun Apr 3 23:55:14 EDT 2016

On 4/04/2016 5:27 am, J. Landman Gay wrote:
> Speaking of github, isn't there some kind of "check out" procedure? If
> so, I'm not sure how that would work. Asking Charles to do that for us
> and then push the changes might be more than he signed up for.
In git terminology, "check out" just means retrieving a particular
version of a file and pulling it into your local repository.  There is
no marking of a file as being "checked out" at the remote end (LC's git
repository).

So you don't _have_ to do anything special to check out a file that you
want to modify.  However, it is obviously best to ensure you are
modifying the latest copy of a file so that any changes you submit won't
be overwriting other already made changes.

The easiest way to retrieve the latest copy of a file from LiveCode's
source is to browse their repository in GitHub (you don't need an
account to do this):

For the latest LC8 code, this link will get you there:

https://github.com/livecode/livecode/tree/develop

Once you browse down the directory tree and have clicked on the file you
want to modify, it will show the contents of the file within the Github
website.  From there, right click on the "Raw" button on the right hand
side just above the top of the contents of the file and choose "Save
As..." to save a copy to your PC.

Then you can make your changes and e-mail them through.

Cheers,

Charles