What's everyone working on this month? (September 2015 edition)

Paul Hibbert paul at livecode.org
Mon Sep 28 23:03:43 EDT 2015

My weekend project came to me after reading some posts on the dev list about having a second window available with the current Script Editor text, I thought it should be possible to make a plugin to do this, so I had a go. I’m sure there are many on these lists that could have done a far better job, but for what it’s worth my attempt does kind of work with a few limitations, so I’ve posted it to http://livecodeshare.runrev.com <http://livecodeshare.runrev.com/> for all to try, I’ve called it Script Buddy and I hope somebody finds it useful.

What it will do:
1. Give you a second window to work on your script.
2. Allow you to cut, copy, paste and clear text.
3. Colour your text just like the IDE SE (one small handler borrowed from the IDE - I hope LC don’t mind!).
4. Swap your script text back and forth between the IDE Script Editor and Script Buddy.
5. Save your script to a plain text file, rtf text file or HTML file.
6. Easily print your script.

What it won't do (at present):
1. Format your script with indents just like the IDE SE, maybe in future.
2. Compile your scripts, you will need to do that manually (it currently doesn’t mark the script as ‘dirty’ so I’m looking to see if that’s possible).
3. Automatically update the IDE SE text - I don't see the point in that, but it could be done, maybe as an option.
4. Run or debug your scripts, and it never will.
5. It doesn't use the strict compilation mode or any of the other niceties of the IDE SE.

IMPORTANT: There is currently no Undo, so please be careful when updating your scripts.

I have a few ideas for future improvements, but would also welcome any comments/suggestions/contributions.

Paul