What's everyone working on this month? (September 2015 edition)

Tore Nilsen tore.nilsen at me.com
Mon Sep 28 16:16:41 EDT 2015

At the moment I am working on a suit of applications for my English students.  One application is a database like applications containing phrasal verbs, another containing idioms. I am also making an application to help my student understand the importance of coherency in texts, involving tasks like sorting random paragraphs into a coherent text. I also have a half finished application containing linking phrases and examples of how they are used, to go with the other tasks in the previous app.

Tonight I am putting the finishing touches on an application that will serve as a personal dictionary for my students. Here they will be able to add words and phrases they do not understand, as they come across them in different texts. They can then add an explanation and example(s) of use, together with other useful information such as word class, the original source text, the sources for the explanation/examples etc. The dictionary is searchable, and entries can be sorted alphabetically, by word class or by length. There are also links to entries in the dictionary that show up in the explanation/example fields. If my students choose to, they can also add images to the dictionary.

All these applications will eventually be put together into one single suit, but for now my students will get them as and when they are finished.

Tore Nilsen