Feature Exchange Process

Rick Harrison harrison at all-auctions.com
Fri Sep 25 11:28:00 EDT 2015

Hi Kay,

These campaigns were pre-announced to me as a survey,
without the details of how long the campaigns were to run,
and the other details about funding. I’m shocked to learn
that they are only 5 days long.  I was expecting it to run for at
least a month like most other Kickstarter fundraisers.
There are probably others on the list who assumed the
same time period.

When I received the next email about the announcement
titled "Prioritize Your Features” the details still were not
listed in the email.  At that point, my interest started waning,
because I still wasn’t seeing the basic details.  So, as a user,
feeling a little frustrated, I failed to bother to click on
any more buttons.  Yes we users are a lazy sort some times
aren’t we.  Make us click too many times for something, and
we are gone.  If only I had just clicked one more time most of
my questions would have been answered.  Ah well, design
is everything these days.

I think some users may have expected that 64 bit, and the
other projects were already in the pipeline to be accomplished,
and may have put off by asking for funding before a stable
version of LiveCode 8 has been released.  There is such a
thing as going to the “Well" too many times too soon.  It takes
time for the “Well" to replenish the water from the aquifer. The
pot of gold there only appears rarely.

Running 4 campaigns at the same time splits the focus.
Where one campaign may have succeeded on it’s own,
splitting the vote too may ways can lose the election so
nothing gets funded.  It might have been better to lump
all of the campaigns into one large one at a later time,
and run the campaign longer so there is time to get the
word around.

A rare campaign to get funding for a special project like
the “Community Version” or “HTML5” can work fine.
As a standard required part of a business model, it
usually doesn’t work.

I’m concerned that it’s beginning to sound like
the company is struggling to meet it’s payroll
if it feels the need to run so many campaigns to
keep running.  Heather’s blog entry about money
not growing on trees hinted this may be the case.

I think expanding the user base is probably much
more important to sustain the company. I believe
the LiveCode community would be willing to help
out with that goal if a plan with a clear cut
approach and achievable goals were mapped
out by Kevin.

Ok, that’s just my 2 cents for the day.  I hope
all of your funding goals are reached for every
project in the next few days if possible.

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my
seemingly rather obvious questions too.

Have a nice day!

Rick