non-breaking spaces in fields?

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 03:02:07 EDT 2015

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 5:04 AM, Ralph DiMola <rdimola at evergreeninfo.net>
wrote:

> The LC field object has always(since LC 5 anyway) respected non-breaking
> spaces (ascii 160).

I'm not seeing that on OS X 10.9.5 and LC 7.1rc2

With numToChar(160) I get a visible artifact* in between the two words.
With  numToCodepoint(0xA0) I get a nonbreaking whitespace.

But in pre LC v7 the word chunk does not recognize
> non-breaking spaces.

In 7.1 if I use numToChar(160) then the two words with the artifact is
reported if I use 'put word 1' whilst if I use 'put trueword' I can extract
either the 1st or 2nd word without inclusion of the artifact.

If I use numToCodepoint(0xA0) just the first word is reported whether I use
'put word 1' or 'put trueword 1', both work as expected.

Not sure if that's a bug or a Unicode enhancement.

* Not so much the letter t but a Jesus cross as it's as tall as a letter t,
extends below the base line to where the letter j or g bottoms out and is
san-serif.