Silly conference survey

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Sep 8 16:53:53 EDT 2015

Richmond wrote:
 > but I do think that their survey is slanted and sends out a
 > signal to those who don't live in Britain or the USA that is
 > not particularly "cuddly".

In any global community any single location will make a good many people
feel "uncuddly".

As the community grows we may expect to see a greater number of regional
events, possibly in lieu of or possibly complimenting a single larger
global event.

For example, I'm currently working with the organizers of the SoCal
Linux Expo to see if we can add a one-day track at their event in
Pasadena next January that's all about LiveCode, sort of a
mini-LiveCode-conference under the SCaLE umbrella as we do for Ubuntu
with UbuCon there each year.

Please don't make travel commitments yet, unless it's for SCaLE itself
which is always well worth attending.   My discussions with the SCaLE
folks are early-stage, and it'll likely be a few more weeks before we'll
know for sure if we can pull together the logistics to make that happen.
  But if you have any interest in Linux at all, man oh man I can't say
enough great things about attending SCaLE, with or without a LiveCode
event there.

As for LC events elsewhere, I would encourage anyone here interested in
organizing a regional LiveCode event to do so.

The very first LiveCode conference was held in Monterey, organized by
Dan Shafer and Chipp Walters and required no assistance from LiveCode
Ltd.  They continued to hold the Monterey conferences as an independent
event for many years.

The Euro RevCon held in Malta twice was also put together by a community
member, Jim Sims.

A global conference is great, but difficult for both the company and
attendees who may not be close to the venue.  But that needn't stop us
from having a good time sharing LiveCode tips with our friends and
colleagues wherever we are, whenever we can.

Whether it's a monthly user group meeting with a dozen or so people, or
a large annual or semi-annual regional even for a hundred or more, it
all seems like a good time to me.

Extra bonus points if there's also an annual global conference to top it
all off.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  LiveCode Community Manager