cut doesn't throw error when failing in standalone

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Sep 2 11:02:54 EDT 2015

> cut doesn't throw error when failing in standalone
>
> Dr. Hawkins dochawk at gmail.com
> Wed Sep 2 16:15:54 CEST 2015
> While I"m at my oddball reporting:
>
> When attempting to cut in a standalone within a password protected stack,
> it fails without throwing an error.   I finally found the issue by looking
> at "the result".
>
> Is this already reported?

It was raised as a discussion in the Engine Contributors section of the
forums:
<http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=23169>

My OP there outlines the complicated set of "sometimes" rules that
currently require those learning LiveCode to study the details of every
command to know which fork of error handling will be used ("the result"
vs "try/catch"), suggesting the possibility of an alternative single
function to obtain error info.

In reply Mark Waddingham noted relevant details about why that may not
always be possible, suggesting that if a single path were pursued going
forward it may perhaps require wrapping all commands that may generate
errors in try/catch constructs.

While I would prefer of course not to have to write four lines of code
where I used to write two, the discussion covers some interesting
considerations about error handling well worth reading.  It's not quite
as simple as I had once hoped.

Perhaps after reading that you or one of the others here may have a
simpler solution to propose.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems