User Guide: Call for Errata

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 07:10:42 EDT 2015

On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 8:27 AM, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com>
wrote:

> To make sure we cover any errors and omissions you've seen, please send a
> brief description with the page number to me at the email address below.
>
> Bug #12450

Also, ALL references to Mac OS should be removed. LC 7 & 8 will not run on
OS 9 so references should only be made to OS X. Both the User Guide and the
Dictionary suffer badly from inconsistency of the use of the term Mac OS -
sometimes it's referring specifically to OS 9 and at other times it means
both 9 and X.

Page 258 of the User Guide, under The layer of menu buttons: makes
reference to both Mac OS and OS X
Same Page but the next Para down, under Changing Menus Dynamically: only
refers to Mac OS, but the statement also applies to OS X.

To add to the inconsistency the User Guide (I haven't seen it in the
Dictionary) also occasionally uses the term Mac OS Classic - see Page 259,
top line but in the very next paragraph return to using Mac OS to refer to
OS 9.

Again, moving forward there should only be one term, either Mac OS X or
just OS X and ALL content applicable ONLY to OS 9 should be removed.

I've CC'd your other email as requested but posted here as it may trigger
some more useful comments on what needs attention.

Thanks for taking on this task... it's a BIG one.