AW: AW: What happens when enabling Hi-DPI scaling?

Tiemo Hollmann TB toolbook at kestner.de
Wed Oct 28 03:59:03 EDT 2015

Thanks for the detailed explanations!
Tiemo

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: use-livecode [mailto:use-livecode-bounces at lists.runrev.com] Im Auftrag
von Mark Waddingham
Gesendet: Dienstag, 27. Oktober 2015 20:23
An: How to use LiveCode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com>
Betreff: Re: AW: What happens when enabling Hi-DPI scaling?

On 2015-10-27 14:56, Tiemo Hollmann TB wrote:
> Thanks Mark for jumping in!
> If I understood you correct, things even get crisper and not blurred
> with Hi-DPI enabled on a Hi-DPI monitor and keep as they are on a
> standard monitor. So my conclusion would be to enable it always by
> standard (since it is anyway standard on OS X)

Yes - this is the ideal situation :)

> What could be a reason not to enable Hi-DPI scaling on Windows or with
> other words, why is it an option?

Ah - well - the APIs we currently use on Windows are a bit of a dinosaur in
terms text rendering. We still use 'GDI' which has the unfortunate problem
that text does not linearly scale.

What this means is that the size of a piece of text rendered with GDI at
scale factor 1.0 is not necessarily the same as the same text rendered at
scale factor 2.0. This is down to the TrueType hinting and other methods it
employs which you cannot actually turn off (this hinting can be quite
aggressive - its goal was to ensure text rendered at low screen resolutions
was still highly readable without anti-aliasing - and tends to alter the
horizontal width to varying degrees for different fonts).

We've not actually managed to find a way to solve this problem 'well'
yet - particularly as we still have to support XP (given its market share is
still quite considerable!).

So, you do need to check your app in Hi-DPI mode on windows (by adjusting
the text scale factor in settings, as previously mentioned) and make sure it
still looks the way you need it to.

You *can* try and set the 'useIdealLayout' property of the stack if there
are visual problems - this will make the text render in the appropriately
'linearly scalable' way. However, it does have a performance and visual
difference impact - the text will be slightly fuzzier, and will take a
little longer to render.

Hope this helps!

Warmest Regards,

Mark.