What is "Open Language"?

Peter TB Brett peter.brett at livecode.com
Sat Oct 24 15:10:49 EDT 2015

On 2015-10-24 18:53, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> 2. Isn't the goal so that we can have 10,000 different, often
> incompatible and sometimes confusing, custom syntax options for doing
> basic things like setting the rect of a button?

To quote Gilbert & Sullivan: "Well, yes, that's the idea."

Not too different from the status quo, though, is it? I can already
modify the bounding box of a button by setting its "left", "right",
"top", "bottom", "topLeft", "topRight", "bottomLeft", "bottomRight",
"rect", or "rectangle" pseudo-properties.

Some people believe that programming languages should be designed in
such a way that, for any given task, "There should be one - and
preferably only one - obvious way to do it."  This is not the design
philosophy of LiveCode.

                                   Peter

--
Dr Peter Brett <peter.brett at livecode.com>