What is "Open Language"?

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 15:08:48 EDT 2015

On 24/10/15 22:02, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> Richmond write:
>
> > The sticking point is this bit:
> >
> > "to enable everyone to write programs that use any aspect of a
> > computer or device."
> >
> > Well: I still cannot talk to my USB robot or my USB footpedal set
> > with LiveCode . . .
>
> I agree it would have been clearer to have specified "or computing
> device".  But since "device" is commonly used to refer collectively to
> phones, phablets, and tablets, I've seen very few people so certain
> that it meant "all possible devices ever manufactured for any purpose
> however specialized" that they felt compelled to spam "RunRev doesn't
> care" all over the forums.
>
> Given this expectation, and that the number of folks using Lua,
> Python, or JavaScript is far larger than our humble LiveCode audience,
> one might ask whether the core dev teams for those and other scripting
> language has provided you built-in commands for the specific device
> you have?

Aah: they probably haven't.

I don't think that "RunRev doesn't care", but I think they have promised
rather more than they are capable of delivering
in a semi-reasonable time-frame, and as a resilt they have got a lots of
people's expectations up in a way that may be
quite unrealistic, and it might not be a bad idea if they did a spot of
retrenchment instead of keeping quiet.

Certainly, if RunRev were to state something like this:

"We would very much like to work towards Open Language, however we do
realise something now, that we might have been
unaware of in our enthusiasm over the Kickstarter and launching an Open
Source version of LiveCode, so it would be unreasonable
for users to expect anything near a fully open langauge sometime soon."

That might let people who are wondering, that they care.

R.