What is "Open Language"?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Oct 24 13:12:48 EDT 2015

Colin Holgate wrote:

 >> On Oct 24, 2015, at 12:42 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >>
 >>> I found this definition of open language, which might be on
 >>> the right lines too:
 >>>
 >>> http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=609766
<http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=609766>

 >> A good reminder for us all to keep our ACM memberships current.
 >
 > I don’t know what ACM is! Google found that page for me.

Kindly indulge this good work for our friends at the ACM:

The Association for Computing Machinery is one of the oldest and most
respected organizations for computing professionals and enthusiasts.

One of their membership options grants access to the ACM library, one of
the world's most comprehensive collections of research related to nearly
every area of computing, such as the article linked to above.

The ACM includes many special interest groups (SIGs), of which SIGGRAPH
is among their most famous - the annual SIGGRAPH conference is
considered one of the premier showcases for new and interesting projects
in computing imaging, 3D, motion graphics, VR, and more.

For UX/UI designers the ACM SIGCHI (Computer-Human Interaction) is a
great resource providing a bi-monthly publication, Interactions, and has
many local chapters around the world:
<http://www.sigchi.org/connect/local-sigs>

I've also had memberships with the Interaction Design Association and
the User Experience Professionals Association, but as much as I've
enjoyed their meetings and publications I still consider ACM SIGCHI the
creme de le creme of usability orgs.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems